Infinitap Games, LLC
Based in Canoga Park, CA
PC, Mac, Linux, Ouya
DescriptionNeverending Nightmares is a psychological horror game inspired by developer Matt Gilgenbach's battle with obsessive-compulsive disorder and depression. In the game, you take on the role of Thomas who awakens from a terrible nightmare only to find that he is still dreaming. As he descends deeper through the layers of hellish dreamscapes, he must hide from horrifying apparitions and outrun his inner demons. He must discover which of the horrors he encounters are a manifestation of his own psychological state and figure out what reality will be when he finally wakes up. The artwork is evocative of Edward Gorey and is done in the style of black and white pen sketches which create a distinctive moody and dark atmosphere. Interactive objects in the game environment differ from the overall look through the sparse use of color. A dynamic lighting system gives the ever present darkness a character of its own and allows the player to cast shadows based on his position relative to the light sources. The audio in Neverending Nightmares is one of its strongest features. IGF nominated composer Skyler McGlothlin delivers a haunting and oppressive dark ambient score. The warped piano notes and rumbling bass provide an ominous backdrop to the nightmarish soundscape including the pained rasping of the Thomas’s labored breathing to the guttural growls of lurking monstrosities.
HistoryMatt Gilgenbach has had very dark times in his battle with mental illness. While the worst is hopefully behind him, his life has been quite difficult at times, and he still faces challenges every day. After the poor sales of Retro/Grade sent him back into depression, he struggled to think of a new project. He decided that channeling his difficult battle with mental illness into a game would allow him to create a truly unique and horrifying experience for players.
- Draws on the developer's battle with mental illness to create true psychological horror
- Features a constantly shifting reality as the player has false awakenings into new and different nightmares
- Has an interactive narrative with completely different endings depending on player choices
- Supports binaural 3D audio to make it sound like you are actually there when using headphones.
- Creates immersive horror by eschewing things like limited save points, item collection/ammo hoarding, and esoteric puzzle solving.
Awards & Recognition
- "The Escapist's Best of E3 2014 Nominations" E3 2014
- "Twinfinite PAX Drool Award" PAX, 2013
- "For me, Neverending Nightmares was scarier than any ghost story or zombie infestation because it reopened old wounds."
- Kevin VanOrd, Gamespot
- "Not everyone will easily be able to see all the content the game has to offer. They'll be too freaked out."
- Jonathan Holmes, Destructoid
- "This will give even the most hardened horror fan the chills."
- Crix Lee, Dread Central
About Infinitap Games, LLC
Infinitap Games is an indie studio formed by Matt Gilgenbach to create fresh and original games.
More information on Infinitap Games, LLC, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Neverending Nightmares Credits
Creative director, programmer
Art, animation, level design
Eduardo Ortiz Frau